Saturday, July 11, 2015

The week that changed my plans!

Sunday night I called my Aunt JoAnn and asked her if they had plans for the next day which was Monday. I had heard through the grapevine that she had been craving cooked out hotdogs, and since we didn't have the opportunity to get together for the 4th of July... I thought, why not come the Monday after. Well, they had some appointments that Monday so they couldn't come then, but we discussed and decided we would get together the next Sunday. They were not sure if Uncle Maurice would be able to come or not because they are having to care for his 96 year old mother that is blind.  Well, that evening I talked to them and I heard Uncle Maurice talking in the background telling her stuff to tell me and then I told them I loved them, and I heard Uncle Maurice say I love you too!

Monday went by and then came Tuesday...

Dad and mom came over to pick up the #1 grandson and take him to the Science Center. 
That afternoon I wasn't into much of anything just washing and folding clothes, and even laid down to rest a bit.  The phone rings, but I think to myself ...it is probably just a sales call or something, so I didn't get up to check the number. Dad, mom and grandboy get home and Dad said to me that Aunt JoAnn said she tried to call.  He went on to tell me that she was all excited that they had found someone to come take care of the 96 year old mother for Sunday and Uncle Maurice would be able to come to church and to the house to eat afterwards. I thought, oh wonderful and so glad they would be able to come together. Their 49th anniversary was that very day Tuesday, July 7th and they were excited they would be able to come here to celebrate. It made me happy and in my mind I was planning it all out. Me the list maker. Well, Wednesday came and I had in my mind what I needed to pick up at the grocery after prayer meeting that evening. 

7 am..Thursday came and I called mom and dad to ask them about a sermon title that some friends of ours had said was a wonderful sermon to listen to. They were not sure of the name, so I thought I would just try to figure it out. I wanted to listen to it for part of my devotions. The clock ticked, and then several hours later my parents called to tell me they were on their way to a family member father in laws funeral and then they were headed to Vanderbilt Hospital. Uncle Maurice had suffered a massive stroke. Oh how my heart just hurt! It didn't sound at all good and it had affected the left side of the brain. Total damage to his right side of his body. 

Mom and dad got there and they thought Uncle Maurice knew that they were there because his eyes followed them when they were talking. But, it didn't talk long when medicine kicked in to make him drift off to sleep and then for his brain to swell more from the stroke. 

Friday...I woke up and immediately called mom and dad to see if they had heard anything. They were getting ready to go back to Vanderbilt Hospital to be with Aunt JoAnn and the rest of the family. Mom text me when they got there and said he was almost gone. My family said their goodbyes and I told daddy to tell Uncle Maurice that I love him. It wasn't much time at all when I got another text from momma that said he was gone. I was folding towels and wash clothes and my tears soaked into them. 




My Uncle Maurice was an only child that loved the country, had horses and cattle. He raised his boys in a beautiful home on the hillside right above his parent's homeplace. He was a wonderful son to his parents, a loving husband to his wife of 49 years. (even that Tuesday on their anniversary he told Aunt JoAnn that he had to go to town to get something...she said that he brought back a card and candy....she said, "Maurice you didn't have to go do that" and he said, "JoAnn, I've done it all these years and I am not gonna miss one now.") Their love was very special and he would get Aunt JoAnn anything she desired. I tell you this only niece sure knew that her uncle loved her! There is many a times that he would give me a strong side hug and say I love you sweetie! He never had any grandchildren, but he sure knew how to treat my kiddo with love. I see the memories in my mind now, as I type of when Aaron was just a little fellow and at Christmas time Aaron would climb up in his lap and snuggle with him. He enjoyed giving! They had a huge jar of pennies and that sat close to the door and one time when we went he told Aaron to take those home with him. I look back into my childhood and see the first time I got on a horse... there was my uncle lifting me up on it. There are so many memories that I can think of, and it just fills me with thankfulness that he was my uncle and that I had the opportunity to know him. He may be gone, but he lives on in my heart and mind.
After I had cried my tears, it seem the Lord just sent the right gospel songs to be playing on the radio that afternoon. 

  



No comments: